Monday, June 23, 2014

In the Spirit of Love by Debbie A. McClure



Blurb:
A ghost story is just a story-until it happens to you.

While on vacation in England with her best friend, Claire Jacobs' life is changed forever. From the beginning, Kent Estate evokes a sense of coming home. When she takes a guided tour of the reputedly haunted manor, it reveals a story of love and murder that resonates deep within her heart. Of course, sensible Claire doesn't believe in spirits, but the all too handsome resident ghost has other plans. Despite her better judgment, Claire finds herself deeply attracted to the spectre, but there can be no future in loving a ghost–can there?

Things are not always what they appear to be.

Wrongly accused of a murder he didn't commit, Lord Richard Abbotsford is bound to Kent Estate. It's been a long one hundred and fifty years. Then he sees her. His beloved Lady Olivia Kent has returned to him. Having become increasingly disillusioned and bitter, the return of Olivia gives him new hope for release from his eternal prison. But Olivia is different; she doesn't recognize him at all. He knows she has returned to Kent Estate for a reason, and he is determined to remind her of their shared past. To do so, he must first change her mind about ghosts–and himself.

Review:
First let me just say, I don't know how I got my hands on this book.  I got no email to say "please review this".  There was no email to say "hey, awesome, you won this book!".  Nevertheless, I am grateful that this book came to me for whatever reason it did.  After reading the blurb, I thought it sounded like an interesting read.  When I started to bond with the characters and plot line, which didn't take long at all, it was a WOW moment.  I could not put this book down and for so many reasons.  

I have English lineage myself and I absolutely love hearing anyone speak in an English accent.  In the Spirit of Love was written in such a way that when Richard spoke, I felt as though I was in England visiting the Kent estate myself along with Claire and her friend Holly.  The description of the Kent estate was impeccable.  It felt like a very welcoming place to be.  The contact Claire had with Richard in the beginning was comical and heartwarming at the same time.  

In the Sprit of Love is a full bodied novel that held emotional, warm, stressful and humorous moments that helped the story flow seamlessly.  It is not very easy to give physical attributes to a ghost such as being able to touch, communicate, etc. but Ms. McClure weaves a magical tale that combines the past and present in such a way that it is one hundred percent believable.  I am trying to write in in broad terms as to not give away very many clues because this simply is a story that you must read for yourself.  This book  was a highly suspenseful read that was well written, highly entertaining and will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Yes, this book does end kind of abruptly but in a cliffhanger type of way.  A lot is revealed in the last couple of chapters that let you know there is going to be a sequel. And I'm so looking forward to the sequel. Debbie A. McClure is a new author to me and if her first novel is this good, I can't wait to see her work to come.  In the Spirit of Love is a must read!


Look for In the Spirit of Forgiveness available now.  You can buy In the Spirit of Forgiveness here




2 comments:

  1. Many thanks for your wonderful review, Val. Since neither of us knows how or why you received this book, I can only assume something larger was at hand. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and hope you will check out the sequel, In The Spirit Of Forgiveness. All the very best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie and it was strange how it landed in my possession but I'm grateful it did. I'm reading In the Spirit of Forgiveness as we speak. :) Loving it.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear your comments and so would our authors.