Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Linda Lael Miller - Big Sky Country - Tour Blog



This is just one stop on the tour, here is the link for the complete list. After you read this blog post, don't forget to continue you on for all the "Big Sky Country" goodness.


Excerpt
A knot clenched Joslyn’s stomach and moved up her windpipe into her throat. “Coincidence,” she murmured, when she could manage to speak.

Her hands trembled a little as she pulled the carafe out from under the trickling stream of coffee and sloshed some into each of the mugs.

“If you say so,” Kendra said mildly.

As Joslyn turned, a cup in each hand, Kendra pushed back her chair and stood. “I’d better run,” she added. “I have a closing this morning, and then I’m showing a chicken farm for the seventeenth time to the same potential buyer.” She looked down at her shoes. “Do you think I should wear boots instead of these heels?”

Joslyn was so relieved by the change of subject that she didn’t protest. “Probably,” she agreed, imagining Kendra high-heeling it around a chicken farm.

That was a cute excerpt right? Well, I also get the opportunity to ask Ms. Miller one question so here we go.

Ms Miller, in your never to be forgotten romance novels, do you ever use personal stories?
Yes, I use personal stories in writing, but they’re usually heavily disguised or simply a jumping-off point for working out the plot. For example, my dad told me lots of stories about his youth, and many of them served to inspire story ideas—especially the ones about old-time ranchers and the rodeo circuit. A particular favorite concerned one of his employers, a bachelor farmer whose hay crop was ruined by a sudden hard rain, with some hail mixed in for good measure. This man was outside his cabin when Dad saw him from a wisely-chosen hiding place nearby, stark naked except for work boots and socks, shaking his fist at the heavens and challenging God to “come down and fight, you so-and-so.” Modified, this became the opening scene in my historical romance, “Memory’s Embrace”, in which the hero is arguing with God. In Keith Corbin’s case, though, his anger was tied in with a deep spiritual belief, since he was a minister. Another favorite came from my mother, who was raised in Choteau, Montana. It seems there was an elderly bar-fly who rode his horse to town every day of his life and tied him up in front of the saloon. The old man eventually died, but the horse came to town anyway, for days on end, and stood there patiently waiting. I used that one, too, in “The Man from Stone Creek”. Any writings about story-telling and its effect on my writing would be incomplete without the fabulous tales my honorary grandmother, Florence Wiley, told about her childhood outside of Coffeyville, Kansas. She actually remembered hearing the shots the day the Dalton brothers tried to rob the bank in town. Later, the dead outlaws were strapped to boards and displayed along main street, to show the wages of sin is death. Fortunately, grandma’s parents were forward-thinking people for their time and didn’t take the kids in from the farm to see the grim exhibition, but plenty of others did. On another occasion, a man rode up to the gate and stood talking with Grandma’s pa, who was working in the field. The man slept in the family barn that night, and his name was Jesse James.

I know as a reader I always want to know what is going on in the author's head. I think your answer was innovative and fascinating.

MY THOUGHTS:
Although my reading was put on the back burner due to a 3000 mile change of residency, I have managed to get halfway through the book. I will be posting my full review at a later date but wanted to give everyone a "half way through review".

From the moment I picked up this book, it immediately caught my eye. From the cover, to the blurb to the opening chapter, this book left me wanting more. I always look for the chemistry between characters in the books I read and the chemistry between Joselyn and Slade is electrifying. Slade, who is the Sheriff also has down home values in the form of a teenage stepdaughter. Being from different sides of the track, we witness Slade's vulnerable and doubting side. There is no way Joselyn would turn her affections toward him.

Joselyn on the other hand catches her breath and fights butterflies whenever Slade is around. Trying to right wrongs her stepfather committed, we see a dedicated and giving side to Joselyn. I know I am just beginning to read the climax of the book and simply can't wait. You definitely don't want to miss Big Sky Country which will be followed by his half brother Hutch's story in "Big Sky Montana." I will be back in August with a review of that book.

To buy Big Sky Country, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your comments and so would our authors.